Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Conversation with my vet

Yesterday I took Stewie in for his annual vet appointment. I asked Dr. Smith a couple quick questions regarding Cleo. I asked if there was any way I could make payments, if I make a down payment, so we could schedule the surgery sooner rather than later. He said that we could IF I were doing the traditional, but since we are opting for the TPLO, the orthopedic surgeon (OS) would want his money up front. But the OS (Dr. Scheer) did Cheyenne’s back surgeries, so we do have some sort of relationship. I will be donating Cheyenne’s cart to the OS’s practice for either a needy family, or to use for rehabilitation after surgeries, so I will ask them at that time. IF they say yes, Cleo might get her surgery sooner than I thought, and the recovery/rehabilitation could be done by camping season!

I also asked about pain meds pre-surgery. He said he is inclined not to at this point. She hasn’t had any blood work, so I am comfortable with his decision to wait. Cleo is currently on 500 mg L-Glutamine and 500 mg L-Carnitine (to help with the loss of muscle tone in her left leg), Glucosamine/Chondroitin 750 mg/600 mg, 2000 mg Fish Oil – twice daily, and 400 iu Vitamin E once per day.

No comments: